Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Lee Jaehwan / Process Essay First Draft 2 / Thurs. 1300-1500

Three Tips on Quitting Smoking

If there is one new year`s wish that most people fail to achieve, that will be to quit smoking. It is known that nicotine is sometimes more addictive than cocaine and heroin are. Simply speaking, it is very hard to overcome cigarette addiction; it may be because of your habit, stress, and urges. Based on my experience, here are some advices to help quit smoking.

First, you have to break out of your habit of smoking. This is mostly related to time and place. For smokers, smoking is part of their routines—you have to escape from those routines. What it means by routine is that people smoke at a certain place and at specific time. Thus, the first thing that you should do is to avoid the place that you usually smoke. Especially, when smoking areas are getting tighter than ever, this tactic becomes very effective; you cannot even pull out your cigarette at the place that does not allow you to. The next thing is not to smoke at particular time. For example, some—including me—tend to smoke during a coffee break or after a meal. You can take the first step to quit smoking with cutting this happy time out. Furthermore, it is also possible to start from smoking irregularly—thus, much less.

Second, you need to figure out different ways to cope with stress, instead of smoking. This part is more difficult than anything, because you can hardly ever get away from stress. Smokers mostly depend on smoking when they get stressed out. If you can avoid getting stressed out, that will be the best option, but it is very impractical. Therefore, it is necessary to think about a plan B to handle your stress. Anything can be a great substitute, if it replaces the programmed pleasure of smoking: working out, eating something sweet, and washing your face, and so on. This can be more effective if you keep the pack of cigarette away from you. While you quit smoking, the pack itself is too big a temptation to resist. So, you have to dispose of that thing from your life, and remember that smoking is not an option whenever you get stressed out.

Last, you should defend yourself from urges to smoke. While you stop smoking, you are confronted with such tantrums a million times, out of nowhere. Getting over this totally demands your willpower. Statistically speaking, an urge usually lasts about three minutes; if you can hold it down for that short amount of time, your mental pain will begin to ease. In addition, it is important not to expose yourself to the environments that allow you to feel the urges easily. For example, reducing the times that you visit a convenience store can help you, because you would feel irresistibly tempted by the packs of cigarette displayed on the shelves behind the counter, whenever you step in. You can cut out extra sources of the urges by climatizing your surroundings; the rest of them solely depend on your mindset.

Personally, I have quitted smoking a few times, but failed. And, I am still trying. In other words, it is much easier said than done. Of course, this painful struggle requires a strong willpower and a lot of efforts from you, yet it is not for losing something—but for gaining something. To quit smoking does not mean that you will be deprived of cigarette for the rest of your life. Rather, it means that you gain the benefits of not smoking in return.

5 comments:

  1. Your writing seemed interesitn even thought I'm not a smoker or have ever smoked before. I think your tips to quite smoking is quire organized in order but it would have been better if you have put some more steps and sequences on your body paragraph. Also just to pick small things, maybe the similiar vocabularies are repeated over the essay. Other than that, it was a pleasant reading and I hope you can quite smoking one day! (201101481 Jean Park)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 201002623 Lee JaehwanApril 2, 2015 at 10:51 AM

      Thanks for your feedback. I spotted the same, word repetition problem as well. Rather, I didn`t have that large a pool of vocabulary related to smoking. I need to work on that. Thank you again.

      Delete
  2. Hello. I'm Chihwan. Your essay topic is interesting enough to draw my attention. I've also tried lots of times to quit smoking, but like youve said, easier said than done. Regarding your essay, I like your body paragraphs because they include main ideas and examples respectively. But in my opinion it might have been better if youd made a clearer thesis statement in the first paragraph. For example, 'In order to quit smoking, these things are needed:breaking the habit; finding another way to handle stress; and having the willpower to resist'. Hope you and also I could quit smoking sooner. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. 201101883 Hyojeong Shim. I think a lot of people will be very into your topic and relate to what you wrote in some ways. I like your use of vocabularies but sometimes I think they are a bit high-registered. But I do admire your effort in trying to use a variety of vocabularies and not repeating words. I love the structure, like the overall organization of the essay. And I totally agree with what you said about how quitting smoking is easier said than done. I don't smoke, but a lot of my friends do, and I've witnessed how hard the process is. I wish you good luck and hopefully you become a non-smoker anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your post well. It was interesting stroy because I'm not a smoker :) As your said in your essay, it will be good for your health if you quite smoking. Also, like you said in your second body paragraph, I think that eating something sweet will be excellent substitute for smoking. Your essay's structure was clear enough to understand and I like your hook in the introduction. If your thesis statement contained more details in body paragraphs, it would be perfect. I hope that someday you can quite completely smoking because it's bad for your health :)

    ReplyDelete