Thursday, March 12, 2015

201102805 Han Wook Lee/ Write something about yourself that no one else knows/ Thursd

 

For me, it was the most challenging question when I meet a new person: Can you tell me about yourself?

Also writing about myself was one of the hardest things in the world, whether writing a personal essay for a school project or writing a letter of introduction for

a part-time job. It was very awkward when I should introduce myself to other people.

To be frank, I couldn't find something interesting in my life. I thought nobody would be interested in me.

For the stories about oneself to stand out, an experience that not everybody goes through seemed essential. I was obsessed with the idea that I need something special to be the valuable person.

However one event changed my thought.

About an year ago, one magazine held a public essay contest on personal experiences. As I usually enjoyed reading the magazine, I participated that contest with a light heart. The topic of an essay was 'mother'. My mother was not distinctive person. And also I didn't have many dramatic and spectacular experiences with my mother. So I just wrote about honest stuff that we dealt with and everyday problems we went through.

Quite unexpectedly, I won the prize in the contest. The judges said "It captured the splendid moments in common life." I realized that my common life can be splendid and special without any dramatic and spectacular events.

There are many people who are living in this world and everyone has different values. There are no two people who have the exactly same. Everyone in this world is unique in their own ways.

So I don't dedicate my time to get more interesting things anymore. I just try hard to find splendid values I hadn't realized in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment