Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Dong Yi Kang / How to Win the Heart of a Child / Thursday 56

Dong Yi Kang / How to Win the Heart of a Child / Thursday 56


Starting my part-time occupation as a teacher teaching the little children of Gangnam, I realize that it is more than an education - it's a relationship. Children are beings easily intimidated, and it's not hard to see that they tire out easily. After two study sessions with my 5-year-old student, I realized that I needed to enhance relationships with him, and work on ways to talk to the child.

The first thing that I had to work on was having conversations with the child. I realized after several hours that children shouldn't be considered as 'children'. They want to know things, and they are curious about the world. They ask the adults around themselves about their world, the phenomenons that occur, the people, the animals, and the situations. In answering their questions, I realized that the children are wise enough to realize that the adults are obviously lying. My student's parents had answered all the child's questions about why things happen as 'magic', and frustrated in the unsatisfactory answers, the child quit trying to ask questions, and shut his mouth tight, unavailable to conversation. So I took special cares to answer the child's questions in the most easy-to-understand, yet persuading ways. I told him my own stories and talked about my thoughts, and made sure that the child understood abstract terms and ideas. I made sure that the child is treated like a little adult, not an oblivious child that believes everything. 

The second thing that I worked on with the child was listening to his hopes and dreams. My student had been granted everything since his birth, and he only had to ask for things. However, things got a little messy as he entered kindergarten - there were many other children who wouldn't give in to his requests and tantrums. It was a disaster for my student, and he often came back home with new problems and worries. On his first unfortunate occasion, he got dumped by his girlfriend, Deborah. To the child's tearful story of how Deborah would no longer hold hands with him but play hopscotch with a new boy named David, I first brought in a Porsche assembly car to soothe the child. While assembling the Porsche 911 model, I heard him out and gave a sincere solution to his problems. He had not been expressing his emotions to his girlfriend, and girls needed tokens of love to actually be happy. I pointed out that when I asked if he wanted to give Deborah the pink elephant stickers that I brought to his study sessions, he said "she doesn't need that" and stuck the rest of the stickers to his folder. With this sincere advice, he began to trust me more. On the second occasion, the theme presentation at his kindergarten required him to bring in homages of famous paintings and present it in front of the class. Because I was aware that his attention span is short, I created a spray-painting with him, and homage to Jackson Pollock. However, when he went to kindergarten on theme presentation day, he was stunned to found that all of his friends had modified the famous Mona Lisa, and he was the only one to bring in an abstract painting! Not only that, one of his classmates, a boy named Juwon had teased him that his painting looked like a 'scribble'. I had to soothe the child again, holding him onto my lap, and explaining that you just can't meet everyone's tastes and that his painting is rather refreshing compared to the 11 identical presentations about Mona Lisa. 

The last thing that I had paid attention to while building relationships was the carrot and the whip. Because I was his tutor, helping him do homework, I had to complete his homework, projects, and even journals with the child. Like all children, his patience ran out, and he needed motivation every 5 minutes or so. I tried gummy bears, stickers(children love stickers, I think it has something to do with the internal aesthetic sense that all human beings possess), and even toys. However, I realized that internal motivations are more effective than external motivation. External motivations, the physical compensations tended to last very short, and it even discouraged the child from working on his assignments when there were no more jellies or stickers left. On the other hand, internal motivation such as compliments and words of affection motivated the child to work further, and make my relationship with him more solid. 

My experience of teaching the child and trying to build relationships and conversations with him had taught me a lot about the psychology of human beings. It taught me that children are rather very intricate minds that could be easily offended and appeased, and that it's difficult to raise a child. 

3 comments:

  1. As a person who has difficulty bonding with children, this was very informative. I liked how detailed your explanations were. By taking the example of your own personal experience, it was easy for me to keep your instructions in mind. I liked the phrases you used such as "carrot and the whip" and how interactions with kids are an relationship not an education. Overall, it was a greatly informative and enjoyable essay to read. (201202968, Lim Jung Yun)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I enjoyed your essay. The introduction contains the thesis statement and topic sentence well. Your details about the child are helpful to understand the body paragraphs. However the length of the conclusion is shorter than others. I think if you put the summary of three steps , I will be more nice. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it too much good and informative thanks for the sharing.You will have an effective way to get a hold onto your sleep if you buy Etilaam online.

    Buy zopiclone online

    ReplyDelete