Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Gayoung Kim / About myself / Thursday 1-3 p.m.

Secrets Which I Can't Tell My Father



   I have a secret that I've never told my father. The secret that he cannot imagine at all is that I hate my father so much. Some people might think I'm a bad daughter, so called "Bulhyonyu" in Korean but I have reasons. My father always insults me in public calling me "a fat and lazy girl". He thinks it makes him a modest and humble man. The worse thing is he starts to believe it is true and criticizes me whenever he sees me. Even last Sunday, he said I'm obese, idle and pathetic. I've tried to explain who I really am and make him stop hurting my feelings, yet he sticks to his opinions. This is so sad, frustrates me and sets me at odds with my father. However, there is another secret that I have in my mind. I start to understand father after I heard about his childhood. He also had bad relationship with his father as he was verbally abused and treated very unfairly. After finding it out, I realized that father actually loves me but just doesn't know how to be a good parent or how to express his affection. In fact, if he doesn't love me, then he couldn't concern about me this much. I know that only love keeps someone from giving up problems and even his or her child. Therefore, father and I still have arguments but we also forgive each other every time and I believe it will get better.

4 comments:

  1. Bae Young Ha/ It's not easy to say this private things but you seemed to pluck up your courage. It made me think about good parenting. Once there was a time I hated my parents too. It's good that you began to understand your father :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you started to try to understand your father. I also had some troubles with my parents before. Usually they are nice and caring, but sometimes they compared me with my older sister who'd been achieving every thing she's been up to. I and my parents somehow worked it out by talking a lot. I hope things get better between you and your father, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your post, actually I’ve felt empathy with you post because my mom also tell me rude things every time she sees me, but as you said it is hard to make a conversation with them sometimes. So it’s good to think that they are doing that because they care for us, and actually it is true. I know that it’s hard but don’t take it too serious and just let him say what he wants because parents don’t change that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is your classmate Seohee, thank you for your post, actually I’ve felt empathy with you post because my mom also tell me rude things every time she sees me, but as you said it is hard to make a conversation with them sometimes. So it’s good to think that they are doing that because they care for us, and actually it is true. I know that it’s hard but don’t take it too serious and just let him say what he wants because parents don’t change that much.

    ReplyDelete